Friday, April 08, 2011

Gold Skirt Remix Part III & Some Food for Thought

Today I attended a conference about relational aggression and building resiliency against bullying in our kids and teens. Recently in the media, there have been many cases of bullying that have caused lasting traumatic effects on its victims and have even led to suicide. As a school personnel in training, I attended the conference in order to better inform myself on this rising "epidemic."

The speaker was very informative and gave a touching presentation. One of the things that I remember most about the presentation was a teacher who gave each of her high school seniors a simple blue ribbon that said "Who I Am Makes A Difference" and told them how they had made a difference to her. She then handed each student three more ribbons and asked them to give a ribbon to someone who they thought made a difference and then ask that person to take the remaining two ribbons and pass it onto someone who they thought made a difference and so on. Long story short, it turned into a class project and as the students handed out ribbons to various members in their community, it ended up saving a 14 year old boy's life.

I was very touched by this story and it reminded me of the wonderful and inspirational people whom we hear about, read about or fortunately know or encounter everyday that make a difference to us. So next time you are feeling down or or a little lost, please remember that who you are makes a difference and remind those around you as well.

On a lighter note - gold skirt remix part III! I cheated a little today and I'm wearing essentially the same pieces as yesterday but look how easy it is to create a new look by just removing something and adding another. And I still love headbands :)


Outfit Specifics:
headband from JCrew
top from H&M
necklace from Aldo
belt from Gap
skirt from Ann Taylor LOFT
shoes from JustFab.com

2 comments:

Cat said...

Sounds like a very interesting conference! I was bullied as a young girl...I survived but it was touch, the cruelty of kids can be unforgiving, for sure! Now, with all of the social media, there are even more outlets for bullies to do their dirty work (boo!). Good for you for educating yourself on this potential problem!

btw...love your gold skirt, it looks GREAT on you!

FMT Donor said...

Loving all these remixes... this may be my favorite. Love your shoes. :)